It is interesting to me that the federal administration is so calm about deficits when
they come from tax cuts or military increases but so vexed about the possibility of
spending adequate funds for housing.  Frankly, I think there's no need to cut housing
funds from Minneapolis if they can afford to spend wildly on some of these other
plans, such as the gargantuan, Ceaucsecuan Homeland Security Department.
Read the Spokesman-Recorder editorial.  It is quite militant, but it fails to try to
answer the question of "what if you build it and they DON'T come?"  That is, what can
really be DONE to increase inclusivity when minorities just aren't interested. Did the
editorialist actually TALK to some minorities who wanted in and found barriers?  What
barriers were there?  Does NRP fail due to holding meetings on weekday nights?  Then
NRP committees could reschedule to non-work nights.  It is an information gap?  How
could that be remedied.  Would interested minorities register their phone numbers so
they could be called (with, of course, times when they'll be there if they don't own
an answering machine?)

In short, less militant rhetoric, more practical talk, would be welcome.  I've gone to
the meetings here in Longfellow, and we're lucky if ONE minority shows up who can be
DRAFTED to represent the whole community.  The problem we seem to have is a Catch-22
that if the membership is overwhelmingly white, it therefore loses its interest to
non-whites.

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.