I don't do commercial endorsements, but I heeded Barb Lickness' post of
a couple of weeks ago and tried Whittier's new Azia restuarant,
kitty-corner from the Black Forest.  I've got to second her "Wow!"

The Asian fusion cuisine was wonderful.  I can recommend the cranberry
curry, although the medium heat was close to the outer edge of tolerable
for this German-Irish couple.  It brought a light film to the forehead
but stopped just short of hiccups.  Folks with Midwestern tastes might
want to ask for a notch below medium.  The carmelized pecan shrimp was
great.  What's most interesting is the combination of flavors.  Our
spinach salad included nutmeg and papya.

The server was incredibly attentive, and the owner and chef both
stopped by the table to check on our meal.

What's perhaps even more encouraging is to see the investment made in
the building.  This enterprise clearly sees value in a Whittier location
and is giving added value as well.  The building is the former 26th St.
National Bank, which I'm told opened in 1926 and failed after the crash
of 29.  The owner removed three layers of linoleum to get down to the
terrazzo and restored the pressed tin ceiling.  There is incredible
attention to detail in matters like the menu design.  And get this:  The
men's and women's bathrooms share a set of elegant sinks outside the
doors to each.  The owner told us he plans to expand both north along
Nicollet and west along 26th.

I'm sure there are details that a restaurant critic could find to
critique.  My only downer was the techno music that played the whole
time we were there.  I could easily envision Italian opera in such an
elegant space.  But, hey, I'm an old fart, and the target audience is
probably is trifle younger.

Try it.  It was magical for this pair of Valentines after 27 years of
wedlock.

Steve Brandt
Kingfield

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.