What are the benefits of children engaging in civil disobedience against a war most of their elders in the United States are supporting?  Among them surely must be the education (not schooling) they are receiving about the consequences of confronting existing power relations.  They are also increasing their capacity for human empathy because they are feeling and understanding that the tragic deaths of other children are connected to their own lives.  If only more adults felt and thought as deeply about our collective responsibility for the taking of innocent life.  If only more adults were as courageous as these children in confronting the existing power relations that are bringing this horrific war to Iraq and into our classrooms and homes as well.

Arthur T. Himmelman
Loring Park