Mr. Mann, I have a couple of question.

Who really cares what the count is? On either side

What possible difference could it make?

You should possibly watch more television.  The war IS going on.  The polls
conducted by even the liberal media indicate that a majority of Americans
support that war.  If you think Bush is going to slow down or stop this war
with his belief that his political future and place in history are at stake
you are indeed foolishly dreaming. And if you think a few more people either
way will matter, it is not dreaming but hallucinating.

I know in the frustration of caring so much, and being powerless to change
things, one sometimes resorts to the minutia of "well there are more of us
than there is of you", and "well justice is on our side".  Really though, no
one cares on either side of the issue.

The questioning of the liberal StarTribune for being on the "Establishment"
side, or the side of Bush, is as ridiculous a statement as could possibly be
made.  Questioning "liberal" Steve Brandt is almost, but not quite, as
ridiculous.  These are your chief allies, why try to put their words into
disrepute?  If you alienate your friends in the media, who will be left?
Fox?

Minneapolis should arrest enough people and fine them to pay for any police
service at any demonstration.  This includes both sides! Or require a bond
to be filed before giving a permit for the demonstration.  If there are
demonstrations that get out of hand and disorderly then the costs should be
taken from the bond. Those who give more than lip service to their cause
will not mind paying the fines or doing the time.  I do not remember taking
part in any civil unrest, (and I have a few), where I was not more than
willing to pay that price. Such a test would sort of weed out the ones who
are doing it for fashion and fun from the ones who truly care. I do not care
to pay for fashion and fun on either side.

As someone who was there at the Capital on Saturday I can report that there
was a very large crowd, that was somewhere above 15,000.  I personally
walked among the different people.  Your assertions that most were not there
just to support the troops, but were "Pro America's efforts in Iraq", are
absolutely correct.  Also, it was to a large extent a Republican political
coup.  The Democrats, (like myself), did feel out of place at times, though
there were many of us.

Another couple of pertinent observations after watching some of the other
anti-war demonstrations:
1) There were almost no police present at the "Pro" demonstration; (I hear
they were covering an anti-war demonstration at the same time). The crowd
was incredibly well mannered and considerate. They even picked up any and
all litter after the demonstration.
2) The pro-military demonstrators could seriously use some help with chants
and songs.  They are about as exciting as oatmeal with their USA, USA
chants.  I have been to church meetings with more action and acting out
(particularly the washed in the blood variety when they get the spirit of
Jesus).

Perhaps the "Anti" group could help the "Pros", because they seem really
good at it. So Mr. Mann you can brag about that, you certainly have more fun
people at your demonstrations.  If Steve Brandt says the "Pro" demonstration
was anywhere near as fun as the "Anti" demonstration, even I will be
challenging his veracity.  Until that time I think Steve Brandt deserves an
apology from you, and perhaps a thanks from others of us for your reporting
accurately.

Jim Graham,
Ventura Village

>"If you would not be forgotten,
>as soon as you are dead and rotten,
>either write things worth reading,
>or do things worth the writing."
      - Benjamin Franklin

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.