I noticed in a report in the Southwest Journal that the Mpls. City Council approved submitting a letter to Hennepin County expressing the City's concern regarding its (the county's) policy closing homeless emergency shelters during the summer months. This was an 11-0 vote.
    This deserves some recognition.
     And I think this is a hopeful sign.
    I was in such a hurry to make my point about the Public Safety Committee that I forgot to note the above. I also forgot to mention that it is a huge deal (at least to me) that the Public Safety committee chose take Dean Zimmerman's proposal seriously and do some research on the ordinances that impact people who are homeless.
   They could have just as easily discounted the issue.
    I remain hopeful that perhaps things will change a bit...and that our City Council will not agree to surveillance of public sidewalks.
          Margaret Hastings-Mpls-Kingfield