[EMAIL PROTECTED] comments,regarding my critique of teacher's union and
their impact on our kids education,

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >  I also assume that many (not all) of those tenured teachers remaining,
> >  mostly white teachers with decades of experience, are not good
> teachers.
>

> Keith says; I agree with Mr. Hohmann's analysis quite often,
> including his
> last posting. I must however dispute, and voice objection, to his
> statement,
> above. It is reckless, and, at least, mean spirited to make such
> an assumption. I
> thank, and respect all the Mpls. public school teachers for all
> efforts they
> make...

OK, 'many' is not a precise measure...
There are about 4,600 teachers in MPS.  If perhaps 10, 20 or 30 of them are
not good teachers-- I'd characterize that as 'many.'  And, to go further,
I'd suggest that teachers that don't get good results/outcomes with many
students, those that utilize poor teaching methods in given situations, and
display bad attitudes with some students, parents and co-workers, are not
good teachers.  In my original post I did say 'many (not all)...'

Likewise I'm sure many (dozens?) of the hundreds of new teachers laid off
were exceptional teachers and more racially diverse to boot.  My point was
that the union doesn't allow for differentiation between good and bad
teachers in any meaningful way-- it looks to seniority-- tossing out the
good apples while keeping some rotten!  It is a crude tool; more precision
is needed.

I too respect and thank the good teachers for the often thankless job they
do with our kids. And I suggested a mechanism to improve pay/performance
that would better reward those good teachers and allow management to get rid
of the poorly performing teachers.  Sorry if I ruffled feathers, but we seem
to be in the eye of a storm these days, given the budget cuts and layoffs in
education.  I think it's time to institute some significant change to the
status quo educational management system in the area of labor relations.

Michael Hohmann

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
2. If you don't like what's being discussed here, don't complain - change the subject
(Mpls-specific, of course.)