The suggestion was not that the "Singapore Circle" be used for graffiti in
Minneapolis.  Heck I think it should be any property owners right to go out
and beat the living crap out of any graffiti artist caught defacing ones
property.  And if not up to it personally to be able to contract another to
do it.  But that is more of a personal issue, not something I would support
being legislated.

My suggestion was more for more of an institutional rather than personal one
for drug dealers. My comment was a comment about the success of applying
police to a problem and I used graffiti as an analogy about success.  The
actual suggestion was to possibly use the method as an alternative to prison
for street level drug dealing and possession.  Clearly prison is not a
deterrent to selling drugs.  It is simply part of the criminal sub-culture.
Some might say canning is inhumane, but it certainly seems more humane than
spending a few months in jail and possibly destroying the potential the
person might have.  Such a punishment incorporated into a restorative model
seems very cost effective as well as much more humane.

Wizard, you keep at them on the prostitution business.  While I may agree
with the concept of legalized prostitution I absolutely disagree with the
notion of differential treatment for Johns, from other child molesters.  I
also would not mind seeing some application of a law about drug induced
sexual acts to the prostitution world.  Maybe bring in both the Pimp and
John on such a law.

I, like Wizard, had to laugh at the concept of aggravation when applied to
the crime situation in impacted neighborhoods. Clearly someone has never
seen many who were so "aggravated" that they were willing to administer a
good old butt whipping. I believe that better describes Wizard. I am also
aggravated that supposed good liberals couldn't separate the abuse and
torture of women and children from out call girls and professional hotel sex
downtown and on the strip. I am aggravated that politicians feel that our
daughters and wives and sisters and mothers are not as important as their
own.  Look at the rape rate that is tolerated in our same neighborhoods
where street prostitution is tolerated.  Sometimes I feel my fellow liberals
are more of a problem than those supposed non-caring republicans.  At least
republicans are not supposed to care.  Some liberal politicians profess to
care deeply the plight of poor women, and yet do nothing.  No, aggravated
does not express my mental state when thinking of this.  Mad as hell is a
much more accurate statement.

On a more friendly note.  Thanks to Tim Bonham for his suggestions on legal
liability in posting of the license plate numbers of those acting in a
manner that appears to be soliciting prostitution in a neighborhood where
that is prevalent.

Thank you to Peter Schmitz for his post about the use of our neighborhoods
as containment zones. Peter says,
>"So why do neighborhoods like yours continue to experience drug dealing
>and prostitution and all the bad things that come along with it, like
>gang wars and shootings and hookers defecating in recycling bins?

>The answer is: City Hall's unwritten policy of CRIME CONTAINMENT.
>Tolerate crime in the poor neighborhoods as long as it doesn't touch the
>more affluent regions of the city."

The other reason Peter is that "they" just frankly do not give a damn. Or at
least NOT enough to do something about it.

We have indeed fought this war for sometime with different administrations
in the Mayor's Office.  We have had those meeting with every Mayor going
back to Fraser and every Police Chief going back to Bouza.  We received
National and Inter-National news coverage when we asked the Federal
Government to declare us a "National Disaster Area".  The problem is that
the Mayors and City Councils have just had other priorities.  Such as
subsidizing their large corporate buddies (We all know about Target,
Brookfield, Brighton, and the long list of others).  The politicians just
have never placed enough value on our women and children and poor
communities to be really bothered by the issue. In addition their "better"
neighborhoods place pressure to keep the crime contained so it does not get
out into "good" neighborhoods.

Yes Peter is so right.  It is time that the "containment zones" and
"Impacted Neighborhoods" became the major issue for a political campaign.
For that to happen you will have to have caring people from other more
affluent neighborhoods also making it an issue. But that is what good caring
ethical people have always done; care enough for others to put aside self
interest and push for justice even if it does not affect one's self.  I
would welcome many more like Peter to get involved now in such political
"pushing" for justice.

Sure we are making slow progress in this fight at the neighborhood level,
but it would be so much faster and the number of women and children saved
would be so much greater if our own political leaders really cared what was
happening in poor communities of Minneapolis. Sure the neighborhood has
fought hard and Franklin Avenue is coming back and in this next year will be
a truly marvelous place to walk and shop.  BUT, we still have those drug
dealers between Chicago and Fifth, we still have young girls selling
themselves for a rock, (yes Jim Mork they will tell you the price and what
it is for).  We still have that rape rate that rivals anyplace in the
"civilized" world.  We still have our girls and women propositioned on the
streets as hookers because a generation of Johns has grown up with the
notion that Lake or Franklin was where to go for hookers and not get much
police attention. Politicians and their ordering the police to create
"containment zones" created that culture.

Jim Graham,
Ventura Village

The attempt to close the gap between what is known and what IS, is the
temptation behind the apple in Genesis.
- Barry Lopez

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
2. If you don't like what's being discussed here, don't complain - change the subject
(Mpls-specific, of course.)