I do not believe that an interpretation of "length" and "width" as being
based on north-south and east-west coordinates has a chance of being
accepted by a court or a jury.  The charter is not vague--nothing in it
mentions anything about using such coordinates when determining length
and width. In the absence of such language, terms must be given their
normal plain usage.  If you look up length and width in the dictionary
you will see that these concepts are not dependent on the object's
orientation to geographical points.  If we think of a rectangle of a
certain length and width and then we rotate that rectangle by 30
degrees, its length and width do not change.  The width of my car
doesn't change when I angle park it.  Absent some specific language in
the charter, normal plain definitions of length and width must be used,
there is a large body of legal precedent for such an interpretation.

Defining length and width as based on north-south, east-west reference
points taken from the actual ward boundaries, as the city will have to
do if it tries to defend this point, violates the plain meaning of the
charter.  My understanding is that the city has not been able to cite
any statutes or previous case law to support such a position.

Such a definition also would lead to absurd consequences.  It would
allow for a one-block "wide" ward to stretch from Waite Park in
Northeast all the way to Lake Harriet--as long as it was oriented at a
45 degree angle.  Wards of the same dimension would become legal or
illegal by a shift of the directional axis.  Any ward, regardless of its
actual length or width, could be made to fit the length and width
requirement by rotation.  If you were going to allow this definition,
why have this language in the city charter at all?  This is clearly not
what is meant by the charter language and I think it is obvious such a
definition is not going to stand up in court.

Conor's info on the compactness issue is very interesting, I hadn't seen
it laid out this way before.

Bruce Shoemaker
Holland Neighborhood

Message: 17