>> Barbara Lickness writes:
>> I would be interested in an honest discussion about
>> the true vacancy rate, average rent prices, costs of
>> providing rental units etc. and the things
>> contributing to the problems of high vacancy rates and
>> rent prices.

I suspect that there are a number of factors that have caused the rental
market to go upside down.  One such factor, I suspect, is the increased
access to home purchases.

We've seen a consistently strong private home ownership market over the
past several years.  Mortgages are much more available and much less
expensive.  Initial costs (e.g. down payment, closing costs, etc) have
declined with a variety of low-cost (sometimes "no-cost") programs
available.  Less expensive "starter homes" (and make sure you include
townhomes in this category) have been available as their owners have
decided to move up to larger homes.

During the past several years when the economy was hurting, residential
real estate kept chugging along.

Rick Mons
   Shoreview