Ann Berget wrote:

> In a message dated 11/11/2003 6:24:33 AM Eastern Standard
> Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > I would like the new supperintendent to have a track record
> > of past proven success in improving student achievement.
>
> AB: A word of caution is in order here.  Even if a
> prospective superintendent has a boffo record somewhere else,
> there's no reason to assume that the same conditions are
> present in MPS that ade those successes possible. Those who
> try to "clone" anything, sheep, programs or successes,
> usually find out that each success is unique.  There really
> isn't a magic formula.

While it is true that successful past performance is not a
guarantee of future success, it is the most reliable predictor.
Thus, there is a reason to believe that although conditions here
maybe different, a successful supperintendent is more likely
to be successful than someone with a track record of failures.

I believe that there is a "magic" formula.  According to
Clark's Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic.  Here it's not that the solutions
are so technologically advanced, it's that people's emotional
and philosophical convictions make it appear that the solutions
can only be magical.

I watched the last School Board meeting on cable.  It's good
to know that they realize they're in a world of hurt.  It's
depressing to realize that they don't have any solutions.
One of the board members actually used the used the word
"magic" when discussing solutions.  This Board doesn't need
magic it needs paradigm change or religious revelation as the
case may be.

Michael Atherton
Prospect Park