Jim Bernstein wrote:
Consider this: A person (Brian Sullivan) runs for a high political
office and runs a campaign that you believe is so far off base and whose
positions on some major issues is, in your opinion, appalling, poorly
thought out, and genuinely harmful to the people of Minnesota.

<snip>

I have a choice to patronize his company or to use another.  In my
opinion, his public views on key issues are extreme, his solutions to
problems are badly conceived, unfair and hostile, and his style of
campaigning is offensive.  Why should I ignore all of that in choosing
who I will buy products from?

<snip>

We all make choices (thankfully, we still have some) about what
products/services to buy and where we buy them.  It may be price,
service, convenience, value, quality, which typically dictate that
decision but in some cases, I reserve the right as a consumer to
exercise another level of judgment:  to not buy products from a company
whose leader or leadership (Sullivan was on their Board)who expresses
views that I find very distasteful.

Mark Anderson response:
First of all, I am very glad you have the option to decline from buying products from
whoever you want -- part of the benefit of the private sector is that it gives you
such options.  I think you have every right to do so.

My argument is on the rationality of your decision.  I'm hoping that most people will
realize that selective buying based on the owner's politics is a bad idea, except in
the most extreme of circumstances.

In your original posting, Jim, you seemed to imply that you wouldn't buy from a Brian
Sullivan business no matter how much you wanted his product.  Sure, if you are
indifferent in what company you buy from in terms of value of the product, then I
agree it's perfectly reasonable to use the owner's politics as the tipping point to
buy from one company instead of the other.  The more difficult question is should you
buy the worse value just because the owner has the better politics?  That is
apparently what you are thinking -- even if you thought home delivery was the cat's
meow, you would never get it from Simon Delivers.

And that is what I wish you and other would rethink.  By not using Simon Delivers,
even if it would improve your life, you have decided it is worth harming yourself in
order to harm someone else.  I think you would have to dislike someone pretty
thoroughly in order make an effort just to hurt them.  And that's where the
polarization comes in.  My impression is that Brian Sullivan is pretty much in the
mainstream of the Republican Party, if a little bit to the right of it.  I think about
a third of Minnesota's population is Republican, and Republican sympathizers compose
about half the population.  So Sullivan's supporters comprise maybe 20% of MN
population?  To me the implication is that you would make an effort to hurt a large
section of Minnesota's population, if you knew their politics, and had a way to do so.
 Am I correct, and if not, why not?

It's this demonizing of those with different beliefs that worries me.  I don't think
that the left and right (even the far left and far right) have basic values that
differ greatly from each other.  They see the World differently, but both sides
generally want the same thing.  And yet the two sides often hate each other.  They see
harm to the other party as a benefit to themselves.

Mark V Anderson
Bancroft