By golly Barb, I think you have something there.  Concentrating poverty,
shelter beds, and special needs housing in poor and minority neighborhoods
is segregation and NOT legal?  Yes, it definitely is.  I can offer an
explanation for it though.  Developers make a lot of money from affordable
multi-unit supportive housing, and shelter beds.  Powerful neighborhoods
where more affluent white people live do not want affordable housing and
especially special needs people of any kind in their midst.  They DO have
the ability to stop it.  Yet politicians still have to make their developer
buddies happy and pay for "contributions".

What do you get when politicians need to make both affluent white residents
and developer "friends" happy at the same time?  You get concentrations of
supportive housing and shelter beds in a very few neighborhoods where people
are minority and not affluent. You also get institutional patterns of
discrimination and racism.  Isn't it amazing that a City so dominated by
supposedly "Liberal" Democrats would engage in such a thorough exhibition of
such discrimination?  I guess the key word here is "SUPPOSEDLY"!  What would
these people be called? Yes In Your Back Yard, (YIYBY's)?

Now all of you who think you are "Real" Liberal Democrats need to call your
council member and mayor to ask them to please stop discriminating against
poor minority people.  Please stop attempting to create "containment zones"
and concentration camp communities for those with special needs.  After all
special needs people also come from other parts of Minneapolis and Hennepin
County.  Isn't it time those "Fortress Neighborhoods" stopped being ashamed
of their people and allowed them to live in their own communities?  Like an
invisible "Steel Curtin" the fortress walls have been erected by hard, cold,
affluent hearts to keep the less fortunate contained by discrimination!

I, like that hated Republican Regan, say to those Liberal Democrats, " Mayor
Rybak and Minneapolis Council break down these walls!"  All of you please do
needy people a favor this Thanksgiving week. Join me in a phone call plea
doing the same. Please?  If enough people call maybe it will soften those
hard hearts.

Thanksgiving sure would be a good time to start. Leave a message if they do
not answer the phone.

Jim Graham,
Ventura Village- Impacted Neighborhood

>"It is always an utter folly to underestimate the lure and attraction of a
great evil.  The whitened bones of their victims litter the highways and
byways of mankind's history. Stopped only by the few willing to pay the
ultimate price and make a stand."
 - Toe