> Minneapolis had the distinction of having one of the highest rape rates
for
> major cities in the United States for several years.

Here is where the reliability of crime statistics comes into play.  Sexual
assault is one of the most underreported crimes there are.  Thus, just
because we have more reports of rape in Minneapolis, that doesn't mean the
actual incidence of rape is higher here.  We may simply do a better job of
collecting data.  I would need to see more information before I would
believe that we were the rape capital of the country.

Considering how the incentives stack up with regards to collecting crime
data (collect more accurate data and your apparent crime rate goes up, and
who wants that?), crime statistucs need to be understood in context.

===
Nathan Hunstad
CARAG
Minneapolis, MN