Wizard Marks:

WM: Only the poor are being driven out of the city. The middle class
have "rediscovered" us. We've been sitting in these big, old, high
maintenance houses for long over 30 years because they were all we could
afford. We got little or nothing in the way of respectful services (snow
plowing, street sweeping, inspections, police services).

Me:

I echo Wizard's sentiments.  More and more, Minneapolis is pushing the poor
out, rather than lifting the poor up.  Granted, getting folks out of poverty
is heavy lifting, but perhaps that explains why it's easier to shift people
out.  It is, by far, the most discouraging thing I've seen since I've lived
here, and it's not getting better.

For those running for office, and especially for Mayor Rybak who is seeking
reelection, what specific, identifiable, plan and strategy do you have to
address poverty in the city, other than to displace people?  While the job
is not all on the shoulders of city government, something has to happen
somewhere before we become, in the famously paraphrased words of President
Bush, "the haves, and the have some mores."

Gregory Luce
St. Paul

REMINDERS:
1. Think a member has violated the rules? Email the list manager at [EMAIL