I find it fascinating that the government wants to work hard to deport Omar Jamal who, by all accounts, is an excellent citizen who contributes a lot to his community. At the same time, there is a move on the government's part to create ways for Mexican citizens to stay here who are here illegally and have children in school here. It makes me dizzy!

There is a larger question that always lies beneath the surface of these kinds of issues: Do we punish someone for mistakes that happened years ago or do we recognize that the person has grown into a good citizen and contributor and forgive the error?

This issue is especially interesting when someone is finally caught and arrested for a crime committed many, many years ago who has built a solid place in the community and contributes a lot. I guess it depends on whether we are more interested in punishment or rehabilitation. If punishment is our primary focus, then it doesn't matter how "good" the person is now or what they contribute to society. If rehabilitation is our aim, then it would seem that we should allow for the fact that a "criminal" has somehow rehabilitated him- or herself without the aid of our corrections system. Some would argue that if we forego the punishment, then other criminals may believe that they can avoid prison if they do the same thing. And that would be a terrible thing, wouldn't it? Criminals who pulled their lives together and became model citizens without society's investment of hundreds of thousands of dollars for prison expenses.

In Mr. Jamal's case, do we as a community do better deporting him or keeping him here?

Dottie Titus, Jordan neighborhood