Linda Higgins writes:

Perhaps the fact that people keep talking about this as a violation of campaign law shows us that it indeed was a campaign piece and not a government piece.

Dennis Plante responds:

Or perhaps if it had happened a year ago, the State Auditor would not even be raising the issue. In effect, making it a none-issue.... Maybe people keep talking about it as a violation of campaign law, because there is an upcoming election... Maybe RT should be accused of poor timing.......

Personally, I think there is a lot of suspect glue and chewing gum holding this accusation together....Somewhat like an old Monty Python movie I remeber viewing, where they threw the maiden in the pond with her hands and feet bound. If she drowned she wasn't a witch (but of course she was dead). If she didn't drown, she was a witch and was promptly burned at the stake....

We're dealing with a state law that is indeed subjective at best. Not only is RT well within his rights, he also has an obligation to request further clarification (of this law) as it relates to mailings similar to what he recently sent-out to the citizens of Minneapolis. I truly wish the state auditor would call into question all of the photo ops, extravagant trips/appearances and personal interest appearances made by our state leaders as well.

REMINDERS: 1. Be civil! Please read the NEW RULES at http://www.e-democracy.org/rules. If you think a member is in violation, contact the list manager at [EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list.