Allen Graetz wrote:

"I wish this were the case.  BUt even this is based upon the assumption
that any of these children that move to a better school have parents
that are involved enough in their lives to make that happen.  And
unfortunately in some of the neighborhoods where this occurs, there are
too many parents who do not do this.  We need to keep this in mind and
make sure that no matter how much more public or private the education
system becomes that there is a need for programs to help children who do
not have parents who are capable of helping or simply do not care.  That
doesn't necessarily mean that the government has to provide this
service, but it's needed.  There are a few bad parents in  this world.
So it goes"

Ahhh, but that is the beauty of keeping kids in their neighborhood schools.
Those parents who ARE willing to do something (like move their kids to
another school) must get involved in their neighborhood schools instead to
push for change rather than abandoning them and moving their kids.  It takes
the available energy for change and focuses it where it is needed.

Dorothy J. Titus
Jordan Neighborhood