I am new to the NRP process, but I have lived in the Jordan neighborhood for
3 years now.  18 months ago, I joined the board of directors.  I joined the
NRP Steering Committee about six months ago for Phase II Planning.  As of
February 1, I am the Executive Director for the Jordan Area Community
Council, Jordan's citizen participation organization.  My involvement with
NRP is very limited, but I will take issue with Mr. Johnson's view of the
NRP.

Last month, I attended the Neighborhood Housing Services Annual Meeting (and
their 25th Anniversary).  Jordan used NHS (then NNHS - Northside
Neighborhood Housing Services) as one of their primary funding mechanisms
for housing.  Jordan put about 99% of its NRP Phase I money into housing, a
larger percentage than any other neighborhood in Minneapolis.

At the annual meeting, NHS proudly pointed to Jordan as one of the most
successful neighborhoods in terms of using its NRP dollars wisely.  We
invested $1.5 million dollars in revolving loan funds that have been turned
over several times.  The result:  $5.5 million dollars of redevelopment
activities have taken place in Jordan thanks to that $1.5 million invested.
How many other city agencies have brought a 266% return on monies invested
in a relatively short period of time (less than ten years-and most of it
during a tough economic recession)?  And this money continues to revolve,
bringing more and more redevelopment and improvement to our neighborhood.

In addition to this, we have restored some beautiful old properties,
provided purchase/rehab loans to residents who could not have owned a home
otherwise and made significant strides toward reducing blight in our
neighborhood.  The community set very high standards for redevelopment,
restoration and even for home improvement.  It is a beautiful example of
citizens deciding what they need in their community and going for it.

One of the issues for northside neighborhoods is that people have
historically regard them as the "poor" neighborhoods.  While people may pay
lip service to improving the northside, there is still an unspoken sigh of
relief that the problems are "up there" on the north side.  For this reason,
there is often little incentive to solve the problems.  If we should solve
the northside problems, where are the "problems" going to go.  For the
northside neighborhoods, community participation supported with NRP dollars
have given us a way to take control of our future and work together to make
it bright.

Have we made mistakes?  Of course, but none that would overshadow the
achievements.  For Jordan, NRP has been an outstanding success.

Dorothy Titus
Jordan neighborhood