--- John Erwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Let's remember that my response was to Natalie
> Johnson Lee's public comments
> where she suggested that the University (and by
> extension its administration
> and faculty) was racist and elitist because in a
> time of significant budget
> constraints the U of M is looking at eliminating the
> General College.  I do
> not believe this to be the case at all.
>
> People who are responding to me seem to be
> forgetting that we have an
> enormous state university system beyond the U of M
> (as some others have
> suggested) that is state supported as well.  Does
> General College duplicate
> their role?  I still contend that it does to some
> extent.
>
> What I think is a far greater issue is that the
> state of Minnesota, as many
> other states, has continued to decrease its support
> of all public
> universities as a percentage of their budget, i.e.
> state subsidizing of
> tuition has decreased greatly.  This has been a
> national trend for in excess
> of 10 years across the country.  As a result, the
> cost of going to any
> University has increased enormously.  This, I would
> suggest is a far, far
> bigger issue related to access than whether General
> College exists at the U
> of M and effects all students statewide.

I also thought Natalie Johnson Lee was demogoging the
situation.  I think the more productive conversation
would be how to have the university work in
partnership with high schools to make sure that high
school students are prepared to go to the University
when they graduate.  It's much more expensive to offer
remedial education when it's offered at the University
level, than it is, if it happens during high school.

Eva Young
http://lloydletta.blogspot.com

Eva Young
Near North