[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> There's a distressing article in today's Strib regarding consolidation
> in the cable industry resulting in Comcast taking over Time Warner's
> franchise in Minneapolis
>
> http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5362049.html

I too saw this article and was equally distressed.  I know very little
about the city's differences of opinion with Time Warner, but what I do
know is that the service is better and cheaper than Comcast.  I have had
Road Runner cable internet through Time Warner for a year and a half,
and I don't remember one long-duration outage.  This is important to me,
because I have VoIP phone service through Vonage, and thus any
interruption in internet access is an interruption in phone service as
well (to be sure, I am very happy with Vonage and that I was able to
finally say "good riddance" to that company with the worse customer
service imaginable, Qwest).

Time Warner has steadily increased the speed of my connection without
increasing the price.  Most importantly, they do not charge more for
cable internet if you don't have cable TV.  I don't watch TV and thus I
have no desire to throw $500 a year at the idiot box for more channels,
so it is nice that I am not "encouraged" by Time Warner to get cable TV
by charging more for standalone cable internet.

I will not be thrilled if this goes through.
--
Nathan Hunstad
Minneapolis, MN