    >> 2.  I would be a lot more in favor of this deal if there was some
    >> commitment to providing some cheap bleacher seats for the people
    >> whose tax dollars went into the stadium.  I'm afraid that we might
    >> end up with one of those new boutiquey stadiums that's small, and
    >> full of expensive seats and boxes, a la Camden Yard.  That's great
    >> for the owner (each seat yields more revenue), but crummy for the
    >> ordinary fans.

    JH> Twins tickets run from $38 at the high end to $6 at the low end.  the
    JH> low end tickets are the upper deck outfield seats that aren't worth
    JH> $6.

    JH> camden yards prices are $45 at the high end and $9 at the low end with
    JH> some $8 standing room seats.

    JH> Prices will go up but not by much at the low end.

If that's the case, I'm not sure why the Twins organization has missed
the opportunity to sell this story.  If they had made the point that
they were providing affordable family entertainment, it would
certainly have swayed my position (I've always been a stadium
opponent).  The fact that they have NOT been willing to make such a
case has always made me suspicious.  I have been envisaging something
where it will cost a family of four more than $100 to go to a ball
game.

Question:  will there be a reasonable number of such bleacher seats?
Anyone know how many?

I hope they WON'T do standing room --- that's entirely too much Lords
and groundlings for me.  It has a very un-American feel to it (in my
opinion).  Or, now that I think about it -- a very Northwest Airlines
feel to it!  :-)

In general, the Twins could have done a MUCH better job selling this.
They have tried repeatedly to ram this through, rather than selling
it; they have threatened, instead of cajoled; and when they have done
outreach, they have only tried to rally their fans, rather than making
an effort to persuade the swing voters and opponents.  They didn't
make any real effort to persuade us that a new stadium would be a
social good.  The economic arguments are VERY flimsy, and they never
convinced me it would be a total catastrophe if we were to lose major
league baseball.  I, for one, needed to be convinced that they were
willnig to provide the community, my community, a family experience
that would be enjoyable and affordable.  I haven't heard them make
that case.

Best,

Robert P. Goldman
ECCO