According to this City Pages article from January 2004 -
http://www.citypages.com/databank/25/1208/article11837.asp
the county has been working on the plan with support from Mayor Rybak all along.

The Mpls. City Council gave its support to the Minneapolis site, but with the county figuring out the financing, by a vote of 11 to 1 in December 2003. (Please forgive my ignorance if there's been a more recent vote.) Everyone is in on this, even those who have said they oppose it. With one Minneapolis exception, of course. Who was that lone vote against? I have a hunch that anyone who opposes the stadium deal should be out there working to re-elect Dean Zimmerman...

There's a lot pressure to keep the Twins not just in Minnesota, but in Minneapolis. There are reasons not to like the proposed plan. But unless the mayor definitively says he's against it, it's not a litmus test between the two candidates for the DFL endorsement.

Becca Vargo Daggett
Seward