Dorie Rae Gallagher said
"Getting back to Uptown...we have a Downtown...we don't need two."
"I can see some 3-4 stories but that is personal preference. I like to see sky, open spaces, unique buildings and not rubber stamped housing that's 12 stories creating shadows and mold on the neighbors." "just am not into high density housing. Never lived in an apartment building where I needed to walk down a hallway to apartment such and such and become known by that number."

Nick Responds:
No one will cofuse Uptown for Downtown because of 12 a story building. What would be unique about more 3 and 4 story buildings? Tall buildings do not block out the sky especially at 12 stories. In fact a tall slender building can allow a developer to preserve more open space than a shorter, squatter building. Wouldn't a 12 story building be the epitomy of unique in Uptown at this point?

Why shouldn't the developer whom owns the land which is currently a surface lot, be allowed to build something of moderate hieght, that there is sufficient demand for? Remember that just because you don't want to live in an apartment/condo building does not mean that no one else should be allowed to.

Additionally what makes you believe that it is economically feasible to build 3 and 4 story buildings as infill in the Uptown area? I think the RFP on the Walker library site illustrated clearly that buildings must rise above that height to be feasible. If we accept that fact of the matter there are only three outcomes:
1. We allow taller buildings like the one proposed
2. We subsidize the financial gap to make short buildings feasible
3. We don't get development, tax base, more housing choices, retail, etc.
This same situation is going to play itself out in the Loring Park neighborhood where they currently have a moratorium.

My non-NIMBY credentials: I live in Elliot Park a block away from Grant Park (30 stories or so) and 4 or 5 other proposed towers that will range from 8 to 32 stories. The neighborhood's plan for these blocks in 2002 was 3 and 4 story properties that would blend in with the older structures. The neighborhood received an education from the developers that their desired developments were not feasible and therefore would not happen. Since obviously subsidies aren't available, the choice is to either build up or end up with the same old parking lots. I think the neighborhood made the right choice in this case and embraced more intensive development. 10th and Portland will be a real destination in a few years.

We NEED more intensity in housing and land use. That is the only way this city can grow. If we are not growing, we are shrinking or stagnant and I have yet to see anyone make a convincing argument that we can afford that.

Thank you,
Nick Frank
Elliot Park