Laura Waterman Wittstock wrote:

>  The inferred education contract is between the parent and
>  the teacher in the early years and between the student and
>  the teachers in the later years. That's where the learning
>  happens. We owe it to our kids to make good faith efforts
>  and respect our partners in the schools unless one of the
>  sides fails.
>
>  Candidate for Minneapolis Library Board of Trustees

If we continue to elect candidates like Ms. Waterman Wittstock
we never see improvement in our education system.  Not only
does she spread propaganda and misinformation about NCLB,
she also perpetuates a common myth that teachers themselves
has no responsibility for the system they perpetuate.

Teachers have failed in their responsibilities to our
students and our society in two fundamental ways.  First,
they continue to place their personal self-interests over the
needs of students by perpetuating a seniority system that assigns
the least experienced teachers to the students in the greatest
need and secondly, they continue to use instructional methods
and practices that rely on unexamined and unverified philosophical
assumptions.

Michael Atherton
Prospect Park