Mark,

        There are many ways the money in a ward benefits the citizens.  City
Councilpersons have the ability and obligation to look out for their
constituents.  When Cub came to the Northside, a lot of people talked to
them about how important it was that jobs be made available to Northside
residents, especially since many jobs were lost when Target moved out.  This
has resulted in a wonderful partnership between Cub and the local
neighborhoods and is giving many residents an alternative to unemployment or
under-employment. Cub is also supporting activities in our neighborhoods in
a variety of ways.

        Now look at what has happened since the 5th Ward has lost the
"money" portion of its district.  A new stadium is likely along with all the
goodies it may bring, and two new upscale stores are in the works. Lofts and
fancy dwellings are rapidly being developed.  If this area had remained in
the 5th Ward, you can be sure that the City Councilperson would have been
talking to these new commercial businesses to encourage hiring employees
from the 5th Ward.  Partnerships would have developed that benefited the
Northside neighborhoods.  Hopes and dreams take off when opportunities open
up. Despair and resentment result when opportunities are taken away.

        Beyond that, politicians pay attention to those who make
contributions to their campaigns.  It may not be fair, but campaign
contributions are vital. This is another reason why those districts with
strong financial resources are likely to be better served.  Had the downtown
and warehouse section of the previous 5th Ward remained intact, you can be
sure that as those expensive lofts were built and inhabited, the residents
would have been making it known that their ward needed more attention, more
services, whatever the issue was.  Because there would be a lot of well-off
people who were squawking, who can afford to make campaign contributions,
the city would have listened.  And in fact, it will listen--but to the
districts where that money will now be living.  While politicians may
empathize with those who cannot afford to contribute to their campaigns,
they must pay attention to those with the money.  This is not to say that
politicians ignore the poor; many do not.  But money talks.  And right now,
I suspect the 5th Ward has the quietest voice in town.

        I would love to see the numbers for the new wards.  I understand
that it is illegal to create voting districts that are grossly unbalanced in
terms of economics.  So far, I haven't seen how the numbers are for the new
districts.  Anyone have those?

Dottie Titus
Jordan