Mark Snyder suggests a proposed development near his neighborhood rather than
one in the Southeast Industrial Area that I described:

> Projects like the industrial area surrounded by my neighborhood, SE Como,
> Marcy Holmes and the U got short shrift for quite some time because of a
> narrow, perhaps a lack, of focus on anything else but pet RT projects

"Such as? Can you provide examples of these worthy projects because I try to
follow what goes on in this area due to both personal and professional
interest and I can't say I've heard too much about proposed projects in the
Mid-City Industrial Area. In fact, the last one I remember was a Sam's Club
proposed for the area just off 35W at Industrial Blvd that was shot down
because the developers were trying to fudge their way around the zoning.
Can't say I shed too many tears about that one."

Bill Kahn racks his poor memory:

For almost as long as I've lived in Minneapolis, I've sat in on meetings of
the Southeast Economic Development Committee (SEED Committee), a group of
business, neighborhood, and government representatives from St. Paul and
Minneapolis in this border area of the Metro. The SEED Committee and their land
use plan
for the Bridal Veil Industrial area (formerly known as the SEIA, the SE Mpls
Industrial Area) was spawned partly out of a study done as an NRP strategy
from my neighborhood's first action plan. Because the SEED plan area spans a
few
TIF districts established under the previous administration as well as some
eminent domain disputes, it has been actively ignored by Rybak until it became
associated with the fairly new "biotechnology zones" state wide. There have
been several successful developments in Bridal Veil: all the various phases of
Westgate business parks (I think it's at four), another one on a former
Superfund site just south of North Star Foods, and the biotech incubator and
business
park in progress just to the west and all the way to the border of the area
near the U of MN campus looks to be just as successful later on. Frankly, as it
is one of the largest brown field redevelopment areas going in the city, I'm
surprised Snyder knows so little about it. The Bridal Veil plan has
incorporated sustainability guidelines that have in turn been incorporated into
the
Minneapolis Plan. It can't be said that Rybak has ever been an effective
supporter
of these developments and at times he has hindered them; Hennepin County has
been actively involved in these efforts.

Despite Mark Snyder's red herring of a Sam Wall invasion thwarted well north
and west of the area I described thrown in by Green Minneapolitan Mark Snyder,
I think list readers should ask themselves why he is so pro-Rybak and
anti-McLaughlin. Could it be that he has another candidate in mind? On to the
next
Snyder red herring:

"Question: I know a number of Hennepin County staff members who have done
some great work regarding sustainability issues, but where is Hennepin
County's sustainability plan and how has that been integrated into their
master planning efforts? I mean, at least Minneapolis has these things even
if you're not wholly satisfied with them.

"Aren't you risking taking a step backwards by supporting the guy who's had
how many years on the Hennepin County commission to propose these kinds of
efforts and apparently hasn't done so or if he has, hasn't managed to get
anywhere with them?"

I would call Snyder's attention to the fact the the county is much more "a
creature of the State" than the city. If by posing these questions Snyder is
suggesting that those Hennepin County staffers whom he knows are working on
sustainability issues through his work as a state employee do not have the full
support of Supervisor McLaughlin, Why doesn't he just say so? I suspect that
they
do have that support and this is but the second smelly fish Snyder is tossing
out.

As long as the thread is about endorsements, Who is Snyder supporting for the
office of mayor? It certainly sounds like it is Rybak to me, or Is this yet
another red herring?

Bill Kahn
Prospect Park