I need to correct myself, thanks to the insight of a more politically
experienced list member.

To recap:

Then I wrote:

> I would be shocked if the vote tripled. In 2001, 59,000 folks voted in the
> primary, 89,000 in the general - a 50 percent jump.
>
> Granted, this year's turnout (33,500) was a lot lower, so the bump may be
> higher. But tripling this year's number would mean 100,000 general
election
> votes - 11,000 more than four years ago.

The experienced operative remembered that '01 was a low-turnout general
election, Even though we all remember the fascinating scrum of a primary,
the general was apparently quite lackluster, historically.

To wit: in the '97 general, 96,700 people voted. Only 30,000 people voted in
the primary - so the vote total more than tripled in the general.

 In '93, 104,626 voted. 51,000 voted in the primary - a doubling between
primary and general

So ... '01 was an unusual year (out of the last three city elections
anyway). Primary participation was far higher, and general election turnout
was 10-15 percent lower.

I have to conclude that a tripling could happen this year, and Greg was
right to mention it as a possibility.

David Brauer
Kingfield