Sorry, but I have to disagree on this one.

I used to park at the old Armory and the exit was totally blind. I would always
slowly edge out, but it being so near the Dome, on many evenings people were
going to games and you could not see them until you were almost on the sidewalk.

I think the warning, "Car Approaching" gives pedestrians an appropriate heads
up that a car is coming.

Think of the alternative, no warning at all. Is that what Bruce is advocating?

Dann Dobson
Summit Hill - Saint Paul

Bruce Shoemaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
As a little side issue on the debate regarding our automobile dominated
city, something that has annoyed me for years are the downtown parking
ramps that have speakers out by the sidewalk that issue a loud warning
of "car approaching" whenever a car is about to leave the ramp and exit
the driveway into the street. They also have signs that flash "car
coming." The one I see the most is by the YMCA on 9th Street when I am
walking up to enter that building or when parking my bike, but there are
several others downtown as well. The exit driveway is not at a traffic
light. Legally I would think cars should be stopping for pedestrians on
the sidewalk. Why are these ramps set up so that it appears to be the
responsibility of the walker to get out of the way of the car? If they
can go to the trouble of installing sensors that tell when a car is
approaching, why can't they instead install sensors indicating when a
pedestrian is approaching that warn the drivers to stop? Or better yet
force them to stop--they could install tire shredders that emerge from
beneath the pavement whenever a pedestrian approaches. Safety first!

Bruce Shoemaker
Holland neighborhood

Yahoo! for Good