I'm glad to hear someone else's comments on the Oct. 5 Park Board Meeting.
It all seemed so incredible that I was beginning to doubt my senses.

Yes, they were talking about renting out the STONE ARCH BRIDGE for maybe
$1000 - $1500!

Now, being in the business of renting out spaces for events (Van Dusen
Center, 1900 La Salle in Mpls.), I know at least something about the
subject. Any of our three buildings rent for $1200 on a Friday or Saturday.

I believe they said an event would require the time of two Park Police. And
then there's clean-up. Plus the area would likely be shut down for 24 hour
periods.

In other words, they'd be hardpressed to break even at those prices.

Of course it's the public's resources that they'd be renting out, and likely
only for big special events like those of the GMVCC that promote Minneapolis.

I didn't realize that the Minneapolis Park System is a service to underwrite
the efforts of the Convention Center. Silly deluded me.

CM Berry Graves questioned the whole thing, also pointing out that they were
moving ahead without citizen input. In this case, it affects all the city's
citizens, plus very specifically the residents along W. River Parkway.

"Don't tell me that ...," she asked repeatedly, as they proceeded with the
usual modus operandi: staff comes forward with a proposal that presents
shallow information that only supports a pre-selected course of action.

It's unclear if the staff is running the show by presenting such selective
info. or whether there are those on the board who are working with them
and "advisors" from private enterprise.

Staff said one caterer was chosen who offered the largest percentage of
proceeds. However, that info. is really meaningless without the entire
context, as 15% of a low cost caterer's proceeds may net significantly lower
amounts than 10% from a high-end caterer.

Just what criteria and what business analysis is being offered here?

In this day of budget shortfalls, privatization must be considered out of
necessity. But this rush to privatize our public park resources is being
handled without any real cost/return analysis, let alone an opportunity for
the impacted public to weigh in.

I'm so glad that there are these public broadcasts. It means I don't have to
buy movie tickets to experience incredible chills and absolutely frightening
scenarios.

Christine Viken
Loring Heights-Stevens Square

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 02:35:55 -0500, Shawne FitzGerald wrote