I have been following things closely and kept my mouth shut, but this is my area of expertise and I have devoted many years of study & debate to this sort of subject so I decided to chime in. Long before Don Samuels called The Trendsetter pornographic, many woman in my life have had this exact discussion about the newspaper and what possible good it could bring to our people.

Pornography is defined by the Princeton Dictionary as: creative activity (writing or pictures or films etc.) of no literary or artistic value other than to stimulate sexual desire - wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Many people say Playboy magazines have great articles. However, most people buy it for the pictures – despite what they might tell you, because the pictures stimulate sexual desire.

Everyone is going to define for him or herself what is pornographic material. To me the Trendsetter has pornographic material in it. I believe it indirectly contributes to the exploitation of woman, especially African American woman. Perhaps, I took too many Woman’s Studies courses at the University of Wisconsin in River Falls, or perhaps I just believe woman should be portrayed differently than they are in the Trendsetter. I believe it is this mentality of exploitation that contribute to keeping Af-Am men in the clubs, having one night stands, cheating on their wives or girlfriends or "baby-momma's" that help to contribute to the dysfunction of our African American families and communities.

Unfortunately, due to concentrated media ownership society is still so dominated by men who control what people see. As a result, women are increasingly portrayed as sex symbols as a way for a media companies to turn a profit. Despite history, that includes great woman like Fannie Lou Hamer, Ida B. Wells, and Rosa Parks, images of African American women are often like the exploitive images seen in the Trendsetter. These images run the danger of perpetuating the victimization of all women.

The Trendsetter’s April 2005 issue included several sexually explicit articles. A picture of a beautiful African American woman in a translucent teddy that barely hits the tippy top of her thigh with a caption reading “Trendsetter Treat” – Apparently, you can go to more “Trendsetter Treats” at www.wetrendset.com. They will even customize the treats. Woman will get explicit images of men. Men will get explicit of woman. Apparently, there is not option for woman like who might prefer woman, or men who might prefer men.

The April “Trendsetter Treat” was next to a half page advertisement for Augies Strip Club. This ad featured a woman posing in undergarments with the word “slut” printed all over them, the caption, “sometimes you feel like a slut, sometimes you don’t.”

On this same page, same issue, there is an ad for a Summer Bunnies contest with 3 African American women in bikini tops, one of the women has her hands up inside her own top, cupping her breasts, the other woman has a bikini top so small that it just covers her nipple, with the rest of her breast exposed.

The July/August 2005 issue has an article titled “Can big booties build a rift between woman?” On another page there is a reoccurring article called Advice Chick – often featuring pornographically communicated advice. See the answer where Advice Chick tells a single woman who goes after unattainable/married men, “you think like a whore...the only thing connecting you is his meat to your slit.”

Sorry for the graphic examples, but since a list poster questioned why it would be called pornography, I thought I'd provide my opinions & examples.

No one can define pornography for any one but themselves, but the material displayed in trendsetter is certainly designed to stimulate sexual desire, and therefore it meets my own definition.

-Kayla Smith
Willard Hay