I have read some of the posts about the Park Board's purchase of the new headquarters on West River Road in the Hawthorne neighborhood. I can understand some of the objections. However, on a purely personal and feeling-level, I must say that I really like having it here on the Northside. We have few if any real "centers" or "headquarters" here. The building is beautiful, and the landscaping and statuary is such a breath of fresh air for us here on the Northside. Every time I walk into that building, I am aware of a longing for more of that kind of enterprise and esthetic on the Northside. When I walk out to the the parking lot and see the statues, I feel a sense of peace that I don't get in many places in these neighborhoods.

The Park Board also graciously makes its conference rooms available for public meetings, and we had a wonderful board retreat in their building not long after it opened. It was comfortable, nicely furnished, and we enjoyed the space immensely.

So...it may have been an unwise investment (I cannot judge that). Perhaps it could have been done somewhere else in the city or county cheaper. But I like it, and I like it that something as central as the Park Board has chosen to be headquartered in one of our poorest and most impacted neighborhoods. It brings a sense of hope to me and perhaps to others. And its location near the Mississippi River feels exactly right.

Dottie Titus, Jordan