The sad thing about government back in the fifties however...they made a decision to either put money into social programs or into the cold war. They chose the cold war. Perhaps by the 60's, President Eisenhower was feeling the pain of that decision
by his pointed words in Cross of Iron. A little late.

Why would the local political leaders say anything? They are comfortable. It is the people of Minneapolis that need to speak up for what they feel are the essentials.

Dorie Rae Gallagher/Nokomis

We also need to remember this from Republican President Dwight Eisenhower's famous Cross of Iron speech:

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
<<<
Republican Eisenhower in 1961 connected the dots between the hungry children, the neglected homeless, and the starving local budgets for education and social services in Minneapolis. Why are our local political leaders so afraid to shout this out today -- to speak truth to power and demand that we stop sucking dollars out of our city for war.
Gary Hoover

REMINDERS:
1. Be civil! Please read the NEW RULES at http://www.e-democracy.org/rules. If you think a member is in violation, contact the list manager at [EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list.

Minneapolis Issues Forum - A Civil City-focused Civic Discussion - Mn E-Democracy