All I want for Christmas is a representative local government--is that too much to ask? I'm going to kick off this holiday season with a carol that embodies the civic spirit of this great City of ours, and ring in the new year with more of the same, a mayor that can't be pinned down for a second (or so it's reckon’d) and a silly City newspaper that should be including crayons with every new subscription.

(Here's a song for you roughly to the tune of twelve days of Christmas.)

On the first day of Christmas, my City gave to me, one giant property tax hike On the second day of Christmas , my city gave to me, two violent beatings (in as many weeks) On the third day of Christmas my city gave to me, three cuts in [essential] services On the fourth day of Christmas , my city gave to me, four notices (of graffiti)

On the fifth day of Christmas, my city gave to me, Five... (new) Council.... people

On the sixth day of Christmas, my city gave to me, six "revenue neutral" stormwater fees On the seventh day of Christmas, my city gave to me, seven layers of bureaucracy On the eighth day of Christmas, my city gave to me, eight people voting for a ballpark (tax) On the ninth day of Christmas, my city gave to me, nine towings to the impound lot On the tenth day of Christmas, my city gave to me, $10 million in cuts to NRP On the eleventh day of Christmas, my city gave to me, 11 promised police officers On the twelfth day of Christmas, my city gave to me, 12 mayor's aides a-spinnin'

So when you're feeling down this Holiday season, let's not focus on the "poverty aspects" you now lower middle class property owners are experiencing ,.... Let's call that instead, "Without the material burdens of others more fortunate than you". Remember it's not a tax if it makes some politician happy, and crime is not a problem as long as no one brings it up.

Also, consume responsibly and purchase products and services from your favorite small businesses before they too melt away like Frosty the snowman...

Justin Eibenholzl
Armatage