Rep. Kahn is correct to pursue the ownership model she has proposed.  The
stumbling block remains the stadium.  First, Mr. Pohlad knows that the team
has more value with a stadium than without.  By holding out for a new field
he could potentially double the money that Minnesota, or any buyer, would
pay in the absence of a stadium.  Furthermore, Major League Baseball has a
financial interest in pushing a new stadium because lagging stadium revenues
for the Twins, Marlins and others are proving to be impediments to revenue
sharing in Major League Baseball.  Nevertheless, putting an offer on the
table is entirely appropriate.

One question that I have for both the pro- and anti-stadium crowd is why we
can't hang the public obligation for a new stadium on ticket prices?  The
Twins average about 1.9 million fans a year.  Maybe 2 million with a new
ball park.  (Everyone involved with building the dome need not apply.)  2
million folks, over ten years taxed an average of $10 per head rounds out to
$200 million.  Set a progressive ticket tax rate, a $9 ticket becomes a $12
ticket and a $44 ticket goes to $75, something like that.  I recognize that
a bond would have to be floated and the ticket taxes used to repay the debt.
I also have not figured in the financing.  Nevertheless, what are the
challenges to having the 2 million people who would most appreciate a new
stadium pay for it?

A second question I have is what can we do, if a stadium were to be built,
to ensure that the same short-sighted thinking behind the dome isn't
duplicated?  Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore and Houston essentially
duplicated the look and feel of older stadiums like Wrigley, Fenway and
Yankee.  Clearly such visionary thinking was absent when we ordered up the
dome.  Given the opportunity we'll have to do a better job in the future.

Jeremy Wieland
Circulation Director
Utne magazine
1624 Harmon Place
Minneapolis, MN  55403
612.338.5040 x326
www.utne.com

SUBSCRIBE NOW. CLICK HERE: http://www.utne.com/subscribe/

Utne is an independent media company. We believe that personal evolution is
the key to social change. Our mission is to seek out and illuminate the
essential information, people and trends that inspire our audience to take
action to make the world kinder and greener.