I am a first time contributor to this forum.

I just can’t seem to give up keeping the spotlight on Klodt Development and the
Hiawatha Flats project that has caused so much concern in many neighborhoods
along light rail and the Longfellow Corridor.  The Planning Commission recently
denied Klodt’s request for a P.U.D. in addition to their site plan.  Klodt has
filed an appeal that will be heard by Zoning & Planning on December 15, 2005 at
9:30 am.  Additionally, the R-5 zoning change requested and approved still needs
to be voted on.  This is not final!

So much of the Hiawatha Flats project seems out of place.  It’s massive size and
length, its aesthetics, its inwardly facing facades that seem to exclude, not
include it in the community and it is so very different that what was
envisioned in the 46th St. Master Plan adopted by the City of Minneapolis.

In my view, there has been so much that doesn’t seem right about how this
project was massaged through the process in the city and the “under the radar”
approach that Klodt Development took in regards to obtaining community input
and involvement and finally, where our council person, Ms. Colvin-Roy stands on
the issue of Hiawatha Flats.

Ms. Roy has been unusually silent and non-committal on this major development
issue.  Does she support it or not?  Could part of this silence and implied
“neutrality” be the result of campaign contributions received from individuals
employed by Klodt and its contractors,?  What say you, Ms. Colvin-Roy?  When
you cast your vote in the final step, will it be representative of your
constituents or of Klodt Development?

Obviously campaign finance practices need some practical review and reform, but
that is an issue for another day and another post.

And lets not leave Klodt out of the mix.  Klodt approached our community
meetings as if we were wasting their time.  I recall one pointed question posed
to John Bell, (Klodt’s representative) at the L.C.C.’s second community meeting
on the “flats” project.  A woman from the audience asked “Is this a done
deal?”, to which Mr. Bell replied, “ This will happen”.

Where’s the process here?  Don’t we have a voice on how our community evolves?

I care deeply about this proposed project and the negative impact I believe it
will have on the community if it is built the way it is currently proposed.

I ask that our city council members look closely at Hiawatha Flats and that you
hear the voices of the community whether it is in e-mail, phone messages or
postings such as this.

Hiawatha Flats needs to be fixed before it can be called ready.

M. Brady
Hiawatha Resident