Tony Scallon writes:

> We also should drop the innuendo about campaign donations.  This only
divides the
> community.

I'm sympathetic to the concerns about reckless innuendo, but I don't think
that's the case in this particular example. A developer gave 10 grand to an
effort that was largely concentrated on a couple of key races, and when that
developer's project came up for a vote on the Planning Commission, one key
beneficiary of the donation was the only one to vote for it. That's more
than just an inconvenient array of facts.

As a community, we need to be sensitive to reckless division, but at the
same time we should not sweep suspicious incidents such as this one under
the rug. I think Carol should have recused herself (and please don't use the
"independent" PAC expenditure as a rationale - it may not have been legally
coordinated, but it was clearly intended to influence her race, and the
contribution was public before the vote, I believe).

This isn't about reform-versus-incumbents. I did not personally approve of
the park reform effort taking 10 grand from Billy Weisman, but Weisman's
project happened in the past - there was no "live" project up for a vote. If
and when Weisman was to introduce a similar project, and a key beneficiary
of his largesse was to vote for it, I'd have exactly the same objection.

Let's elevate our standards enough to acknowledge the problem with this, and
seek ways to solve it. Voluntary recusal would be a great start.

David Brauer
Kingfield