Forbes Magazine reports that Carl Pohlad has $2.8 billion. I'm willing to
take that figure.

2.8 billion is 2800 million. I propose the state take 10% of that, or 280
million, every year, until poor Carl is down to 100 million. Then we cut
back to $10 million a year, until he is down to 5 million, which should
be more than enough to keep him in razor blades and breakfast food.

In addition, we revive and strengthen estate taxes. The value of the
estate is known or comes to be known, and clearly can be taxed. Rather
than passing billions down to descendents who never earned a dime of it,
each could have a few million, and the rest go for schools, parks,
libraries, etc.

The main problem with huge piles of money it that the never-satisfied
owner usually invests some of it in buying government out from under the
people, and then getting public resources at bargain basement prices (a
real steal). Enough of this, and democracy is bought out, and we're back
with a few fabulously wealthy parasites, and everyone else better off
dead.

The way to stop the rich from buying government is to take away all the
surplus money they might have to buy it. Let them have the money, and some
will buy, and some officials will sell, and soon we're back with the
obscene class structure we have today.

Big money is the root of all big evil.

-David Shove
Roseville