I suspect most big givers give big because they expect to get back big.
Records show they often succeed. Most of the money for higher offices
comes in big batches from the richest 1% of the population, and records
show they usually get it back at least 100 to 1. Paid for by the official
out of our public resources.

There is in fact little motive for them to give just to the ideology of
their choice - they give to the *individual* of their choice, who is then
indebted to them. Less important than getting him/her elected is having
him/her know just who put them there, and will help or hurt them next time
around. Many big givers give to members of both parties in a race, just so
they will be indebted.

The elite will fight against blind trusts just as much as they would low
limits on campaign giving. Both would end bought officials, the last thing
they want to see.

If we want to own our officials, WE have to buy them, all of us together,
in lots of tiny contributions, and/or public financing out of progressive
taxes. The last is the way to make the rich pay for a system they don't
like but we do, and so I'm for it.

--David Shove
Roseville