Jeff,

Attached is a snippet of an old posting from Paul Clarke:

>The space will not get freed up until either a) you delete and redefine
the
>queue, or b) the QMGR is stopped and restarted.

This is not quite true, we do indeed release disk space at these times but
these aren't the only times...
The others are :-

1) At  a checkpoint
   If checkpoint sees the same queue empty multiple times and the queue is
using a significant amount of disk space then the queue is truncated.

2) When the queue is unloaded
   When a queue isn't open by any application (including internal MQ
'applications' e.g. MCA) then it is scheduled for unload. The queue will be
unloaded the second time a checkpoint sees the queue scheduled for unload.

3) When we take a media image of the queue
  We compact a local queue prior to taking a media image.

I imagine the apparent arbitrary nature that was referred to in the earlier
append is just the moment when the queue became unused or when a checkpoint
was taken.

Jeff A Tressler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: MQSeries List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

11/15/2004 03:13 PM

Please respond to
MQSeries List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

cc
Subject
'q' file resize

We have a disk drive full and it is all due to two files. These are
the 'q' files that store the actual messages. The queue depth
has finally reached zero but these q files still are taking a
lot of disk space.

I beleive these file will be resized to a more appropriate size
but dont know how often this occurs. Does anyone have
any ideas?

We are running Windows 2000, WebSphere MQ v5.3