Didi,
  You'll have to share the cost information, more
detail about applications that you run and the
messaging volume trends at your shop if you want a
'real world' answer.  Some questions...
Why did you not convert to MQ v5.2 for os/390 2.10?
MQ 5.3.1 will run on os/390 2.10 - did you know?
In what languages do you write messaging apps?
Are you 24/7? How large are your messages?
How many per second, minute, hour, day?
Do you use the CICS or IMS Bridges?
Any DB2 databases in your shop?
What are the costs of each?
Are you running MQSI?
You use MQ Workflow?
Will you want zAAP?
Linux on your m/f?
You ask a very complex question, as if there is a very
simple answer.  For a VERY simple answer, knowing VERY
little about what you do -

Upgrade to current releases so that, it's IBM's fault
when things go wrong, not yours.

Hope this helps,
Chris