In plain C you have a lot of heap allocation using pchars, right?
==================
Yes, and it's a nightmare that a C-function can't return a string or
pointer without pre/post memory issues.

So why would C++ slow it down?
===============
Moved to background pchar/pointer issues + object & classes.

PS:
Why me mention heap fragmentation is that me read an article
describing how such fragmentation makes CPU caches useless which
result in many-many times performance impact (modern CPUs bear 3..6M
cache per core). Such fragmentation is caused by New/Malloc etc dynmem
allocators & object constructions. In the contrary,  dynarrays occupy
contiguous memory thus cache efficient & and its reallocator procedure
SetLength is quite efficient. Me noticed it even with a simple
application -the Inffile viewer, where the dynmem version operate
times as slower than the dynarray one.