On 11/20/2013 12:56 AM, Sieghard wrote:
> _No_ language can make certain that a preprocessor cannot be used.
It can make use of the preprocessor syntax itself (e.g. requiring a # at
the start of a line for some purpose)

> _No_ language should depend on the use of a preprocessor.
Right.

> You got a funny gcc. Mine doesn't do any preprocessing itself, it
> needs to call an external program (named "cpp") for that purpose.
> Where does your gcc come from?
Maybe I was fooled by my memory. I seem to remember that I once tried to
call cpp as a stand alone preprocessor and failed, but succeeding when
calling gcc with appropriate parameters. maybe I just have been silly...

>> There are only very few things to be given:
> Well, what you write only asks for one single thing: "C".
I suppose for C this is documented somewhere. Did you find a
documentation for some Pascal dialect that contradicts the assumption
that it should work that way ?

Of course the origin of the preprocessor is the needs of C programmers,
but as Martin will not be writing a new preprocessor, there is no way
but using same (if somebody might be in need for this).

> The C preprocessor has developed into a gargantuan monster never
> conceived to do what is was made to do.

It is a perfect example on how an algorithm that can be defined in just
a few lines can be used to do very complex stuff.

> Pascal - especially the more modern dialects - doesn't need most of
> the features of cpp.
Right you are.
> Nonetheless can it be of use sometimes to have some source file
> processed to create the really compilable code.
I can imagine a lot of other stuff. E.G. Martin does not want to
implement "Generics". In ANSI C I do that what Generics are made for, by
means of #define macros. Not nice, but doable.

-Michael