> Really ?
>
> I had the impression that it is a compiler builtin.

Probably I'm wrong in the concept. Compiled by default doesn't mean is part
of the language IMHO, you also can apply the same to abs in  C language
stdlib.h

curious.. you can read http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/system/

...The system unit contains the standard supported functions of Free
Pascal. It is the same for all platforms. Basically it is the same as the
system unit provided with Borland or Turbo Pascal....

standard.. like standard lib in C

I was only responding to your sentence:

"abs() does not exist in C (you can of course do a simple #define macro
for that)."

You don't need to define abs in C, just use stdlib.h, this is what I wanted
to say.. :)

--
Julio Jiménez Borreguero