On 10/02/2014 07:25 AM, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> MSEgui supports event driven non-GUI applications.
We have been discussing this since years ;-) .
The (strictly closed) TThread implementation in the fpc RTL prevents an
(easy) implementation of this (i.e. without creating a second Event
Queue working in parallel with the Event Queue provided by TThread).

My attempts to discuss this in fpc-develop seem to be considered opening
a can of worms :-( . (In fact - IMHO - also existing Lazarus Widget
Types could benefit from directly using the Event Queue in the RTL
instead of doing their own parallel queues.)

Nonetheless since the (not yet released) TThread implementation in the
svn finally provides the Delphi compatible (since Delphi 7 or so)
TThread.Queue procedure, I was able to do a draft for the "Interface"
unit providing the TApplication and TTimer objects for an "active
non-GUI" (nearly) fully LCL-compatible "widget type". In fact, this is a
rather lightweight and easy thingy. It does not contain any arch or OS
depending code.

Finally. A more versatile TThread implementation could provide an
(optional) Event Queue instance (plus the appropriate "main Loop) for
each thread, allowing event driven programming for worker threads.
(Right now the Event Queue is strictly a single "Class" thingy doing the
Event Queue only for the Main Thread. )

IMHO, Event Queue enabled worker threads might be a nice base for
providing "parallel loop" or similar language/library constructs to
support easy-to-use speeding up certain applications in SMP.

(Does mse support Event Queues for worker threads ? )

(I did this only for fun and for research. I don't really need it any
more, as my colleagues seemingly will never find the time to port their
(huge) embedded Delphi projects to Linux using fpc.)

-Michael