Hello.

Now that everybody "finally understood", let's do a resume.

The fpc code is perfect to show all the situations possible.

In xlib.pp they assigned as soname:

const
  libX11='X11';

So, like perfectly explained in Graemes's infos, the linker automaticaly add
"lib" + ".so"

So a libX11.so must exist.

The soname is assigned with "external":

The soname is assigned with "external":

Example:
procedure XrmInitialize; cdecl; external libX11;

-----------------------------------

In xinerama.pp there the soname is "hardcoded", no constant or variable is
used:

They do:

function XineramaIsActive(dpy:PDisplay):TBoolResult;cdecl;external
'Xinerama';

And here also the linker automaticaly add "lib" + ".so"

In xft.pp there the nearly do the right way.

    libXft = 'libXft.so';

Here the linker will not add prefix and suffix.

procedure XftDrawDestroy(draw : PXftDraw); cdecl; external libXft;

But the right way would be to use : libXft = 'libXft.so.2';

Huh, I have check all the fpc packages ---> all are wrong. ;-(

And I was also wrong saying that libc was ok.

In fact  LIBC_SO = 'libc.so.6'  ---> is never used.

In lbc.pp they do:

Const

 clib = 'c';  (the rigth way sould be : clib = ''libc.so.6')

Fre;D