> MSElang has already implemented {$mode pascal} (similar as objfpc) and
> {$mode mselang} (similar to objfpc + some Oberon flavor).

That is interesting, indeed !

Does it really feature coding aware strings ?
I had been discussing this with Martin some two years ago. We agreed that the
way it's implemented in Delphi (and even more inconsistent) in fpc is not at
all optimal, and he said he would not do new strings in mselang. I did not hear
any news about this since that time. In fact I wrote an article about a (IMHO)
more consistent way to implement code aware strings ->
http://wiki.freepascal.org/not_Delphi_compatible_enhancement_for_Unicode_Support

-Michael