Hello Graeme.

> I really do not understand why MSEide+MSEgui's translations are so
> complex. There are *.pas, *.csv, *.trd, *.trp, *.pot and *.po files!

What is complex is mse-i18n (the application).
It allows to do much more than translation, via the i18n libraries
generated, transforming your application into a kaleidoscope.
You may adapt you application, for example about translation, to each
language, changing the translation, changing the layout of the form,
behavior of methods, etc..., independent, this for how many language you
have.

The .trp file is the i18n-mse project file, loaded by the program mse-i18n
that contains info of what program i18n is linked, configuration, etc...

All the data of the .trp file are stored in a .trd file.
There are data of languages and also properties of objects by language,
methods by language, etc...

The .csv file is a conversion of a .trd file into the csv format.
It is given as example to show that mse-i18n can deal with csv files.

The *.pot and *.po files is a (maybe) new addition.
It is not in the original mse-i18n code but in a fork.
It is given as example to show that mse-i18n can deal with .pot and .po
files too.

Now about i18n and translation, for my personal use, I do not need so
sophisticated adjustment, only the translation of the words is enough.

> In comparison, LCL and fpGUI only have *.po files - that's it. Anything
> else is auto-generated. In the case of fpGUI, that's only *.inc files -
> in case you wanted to compile fpGUI to default to another language other
> than English (eg: if you only wanted to support a specific language).

Yes, of course, like you I prefer things more simple.
But, afaik, mse-i18n is much more than a simple translator.

For translation, what I will use after that dolorous mse-i18n immersion, is
the po-to-pas converter that I did add in menu util of new mse_i18n.
It produces a pascal unit ready to use for the application.

And about the original extended features of mse-i18n (changing object,
etc..) that need a library produced by the mse-i18-program, at the moment,
personally I do not need it.

But it works, perfectly.

;)