Dear colleagues,
 It is our pleasure to invite you to contribute to the session S28 entitled
"Applications and developments in ambient noise seismology" to be held during
the 36th General Assembly of the European Seismological Commission in Valletta,
Malta, during 2-7 September 2018 (http://www.escmalta2018.eu/page/home).

This session welcomes contributions focused on ambient noise seismology.

Abstract submission will run until 31-March-2018.

Please do not hesitate to contact us regarding the suitability of your work for
this session. We look forward to receiving your submissions and seeing you in
Malta in September!

Best wishes,

Andrea Cannata, Dipartimento di Fisica e Geologia, Università di Perugia,
andrea.cann...@unipg.it<mailto:andrea.cann...@unipg.it>
Flavio Cannavò, Osservatorio Etneo, INGV,
flavio.cann...@ingv.it<mailto:flavio.cann...@ingv.it>
Raphaël De Plaen, Faculté des Sciences, Université du Luxembourg,
raphael.depl...@gmail.com
Anne Obermann, ETH, anne.oberm...@sed.ethz.ch<mailto:anne.oberm...@sed.ethz.ch>

Session description: S28 - Applications and developments in ambient noise
seismology
In the absence of earthquakes and other strong seismic signals, the Earth
surface is not static but constantly vibrating due to many continuous noise
sources such as ocean waves, storms and anthropic activities, generating the
so-called ambient seismic noise. Ambient seismic noise has proven to be a
valuable tool for imaging the earth at different scales via surface and body
wave tomographies. The continuity and reproducibility of ambient noise
correlations, make them an excellent candidate for the monitoring of crustal
properties, which has found applications ranging from volcano monitoring,
dynamic recovery processes of earthquakes to civil engineering. The energy
source for most applications is the microseism. The microseism sources are
closely related to ocean wave energy coupling with the Earth's motion and have
today broad applications, among which the investigation on
atmosphere-hydrosphere-cryosphere-solid earth interactions, to make also
inferences on climate changes.  In this session, we welcome contributions
focused on ambient noise seismology. We invite contributions concerning
multi-scale applications of seismic noise interferometry, such as imaging
structure and monitoring subsurface changes. We are also enthusiastic to
receive studies on the sources of ambient seismic noise (i.e. microseisms, hum,
microbaroms), their generation processes, and their applications on the
investigation of atmosphere-hydrosphere-cryosphere-solid earth interactions.
This extends also to methodological and more theoretical approaches (i.e. role
of scattering, alternative processing techniques).