Hello,

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 17:06:51 -0500
Peter Bigot <big...@acm.org> wrote:

> This decision was intentional, as documented in
> https://sourceforge.net/p/mspgcc/bugs/118/.  My recollection is that
> the choice of how to make things consistent was informed by similar
> behavior in the contemporaneous gcc for x86 or at least one other
> target architecture.

Thanks for the reference. So, I tested it with x86 gcc 4.4, 4.5, 4.6,
4.7 (packages as shipped by Ubuntu), all of them produce mathematically
expected result. msp430-gcc 4.5.3, 4.7.0 both produce unexpected result.

> As you say, the behavior is undefined.  Anybody who expects any
> particular behavior for this situation is confused about how C works
> and should take the issue up with JTC1/SC22/WG14.

That's why I wrote so many words in the original mail. Yes, in small
world of JTC1/SC22/WG14 C standard the behavior is undefined. But in
much bigger world of: mathematics, well-known gcc targets, user
expectations, principle of least surprise, etc. - it's all pretty well
defined. So, when something is undefined in small area, it's still
a good idea to have affinity towards how it's done/expected in wider
areas. So, the request is just that - please kindly consider changing
that behavior ;-).

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmis...@gmail.com