That makes sense but it's strange because I'm not attempting to shift by 47
bits.. supposed to be 8 bits. Even stranger, I found a way to reproduce it
by accident today. Apparently printf() causes the error, but I had removed
all printf calls earlier because it was blowing up the executable size so
it slipped by me. Maybe there's something I'm doing wrong in my makefile
that's causing the error so I've attached the sample, makefile and linker
scripts (which were slightly modified) used to build it.

Environment:  Ubuntu 12.04.03 LTS x86_64